Friday 6 May 2011

Kipchoge and Kipsiro look forward to a fast 3,000m season debut

Kipchoge and Kipsiro look forward to a fast 3,000m season debut

Doha. - Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge and Ugandan Moses Kipsiro expect a fast race tomorrow in the 3,000m as they get ready to start their outdoor season on the opening leg of the 2011 Samsung Diamond league event tomorrow at Qatar Sports Club.

Kipchoge returns to Doha for the eighth consecutive appearance after having won here five times since 2004, including the meet records in both 3,000m (7:28.37 in 2009) and 5,000m (12:51.21) last year.

“I am happy to come back here for the eighth consecutive time. It’s like home because I have been here for the past seven years. I feel comfortable when I am here. I hold the meet records in 3,000m and 5,000m and I hope to run a good time tomorrow,” said a confident Kipchoge.

After running personal bests indoor in both distances, Kipchoge has his mind on the World Championships this year, a title he won in 2003. He was second in 2007 and finished fifth in Berlin 2009.

Kipsiro is set to open his 2011 outdoor campaign two months after running the World Cross Country Championships in Punta Umbria, Spain.

“I am happy to return here after three years and. I still remember my race in 2008. I came third. The line-up this time is strong. Everyone is in good shape I hope to run a fast time in my first race of the year,” said Kipsiro.

“We are not aware of pacemakers for tomorrow but we expect to run five minutes in the 2km mark. It is common here and everyone will be happy with such a pace,” added Kipchoge.

Kipsiro achieved a historic 5,000-10,000m double for Uganda at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, beating Kipchoge in the shorter distance.
Reflecting on his success in Delhi, Kipsiro stated that everyone was elated at home. No street has been named after him, “but I hope soon,” he joked.
With no proper track in his hometown of Bukwa, close to the Kenyan border, Kipsiro often goes to the neighboring country to train.

Commenting on his consistency, Kipchoge believes that “in athletics every athlete has his/her own ideology. Personally, I run for life. The secret is the will. If you don’t have the will, you won’t go anywhere. To be a good athlete, you need to be mentally strong. I play the role of an athlete and my mind is to suit the plan of my coach (former steeplechaser Patrick Sang).”

Mirroring himself on his Kenyan rival, "he has always been at the top or somewhere near. I would like to be as consistent career as him,” the 24-year old Ugandan stated.

Two-time Olympic medallist Kipchoge will run his first 5,000m in Hengelo and then Eugene before focusing on the Kenyan World Championships trials to be held in late June. Kipchoge has not decided when his first 5,000m would be.
Asked about possible marathon plans, Kipchoge aims at moving more on the road after the 2012 Olympic Games. Kipsiro has not set any date for the 42.195km debut.

SDL Doha 2011 - Laurel International

No comments:

Post a Comment